How to Remove:carpet, paint and laminate/parquet flooring from OLD hardwood floors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamafusits

Reaction score
Yes, im sorry it is a long title but the poor wood floors have been through alot!!! Ok. So there is berber carpet on top of one scetion, i think i can handle that, just pull it up and remove nails, any glue or that padding stuff, sand and voila. That of course is assuming that there is nothing on top of the wood, that is under the carpet. The real issue is that someone painted the floors...all of them. Not stain but paint. how can i get it off??? Also they put parquet flooring down in another spot, how can i safely remove that without damaging the wood?
I am in the SW fl area, the house was built in the 1920's and, of course, no subflooring. The wood seems to be be in good condition and i would love to restore it. Thanks for any help!!!:D

So let me try to clarify here...

You pulled up carpet and the hardwood floor is painted, right? Basically, you can do one of two things. First, you can use paint stripper. If you do that you'll still need to sand the floors - and that sanding can be a real booger.

The second thing you can do is rent a floor sander, admit that you're going to go through a lot of sandpaper, and just do the deed. I'd suggest starting with a belt sander, and finishing with a multi-disc random orbital sander. I've done this on floors that had heavy oil/epoxy/something paint. Big pain in the butt, but I got the job done.

That said, I'm not sure what you're saying when you mention the parquet flooring. Is it a vinyl stick-on tile, or something that's nailed down?

Thanks for the info.....sorry if i wasnt clear. There is just so much on the floor. Okay so in all bedrooms there is just the paint on the floor. in the living room there is carpet over floor and that is all. in the dining room there is parquet over the wood, it seems to be glued down...there are no nails and a couple places i have been able to gently pry up and it seems to me that they were glued. The parquet is low quality snap into place kind of stuff. Im guessing thats why it was glued. The paint is not thick it seemd to be a semi gloss type that has lost most of the gloss :)

Back