Anyone know how to make windows...?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triple D

Reaction score
This is wifey here, with an important (to me) question.:)

My husband is building a clubhouse for the kids, and being the perfectionist he is, he wants to buy plain old boring windows because he already knows how to do those and can't mess it up. I want NEAT windows, and more specifically, octagonal windows just like one that was in my aunt and uncle's 100 yr. old farmhouse. It had a hinge on the right side and on the left, a simple latch, and it swung outward. It was awesome!!

If this was for a house, I would not want him building one either, but how hard can it be to get a piece of window glass cut to size and put a frame around it...Right? ;)

If anyone has any ideas, could you please share them...and maybe throw in a pep talk and give him the confidence to just go for it? Please... he won't buy one ready-made I know for sure...

Last edited:
I think you should use lexan or plexiglass, which would make it even easier to make, as these cut easily.

Last edited:
this is easy. Find a template for an Octogon online. Measure the size of the window you need and draw this template onto a large peice of paper, then cut pieces of wood you need to piece this together (8 pieces with mitre angled cuts, probably 20 degress or less). attach the wood pieces with stables or finish nails. You can get a round piece of glass cheap, get one that is less in Diameter than the Wood Pieces, attach the glass with adhesive or angle stops (mirror stops work well). attach a hinge on one side and latch on the other.

I always thought an old Pirate ship steering wheel would make a good window.

That sounds like a great project!!! Cover the material and shipping costs and someone like me could even be convinced to make you one!!

Latest posts

Back