Need to Replace Shower Pan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hueste

Reaction score
This is my first post on here, if it's in the wrong place I apologize....

I needed to replace the horrible caulking job done by the builders of our house so I bought some liquid caulk remover, unfortunately After I scraped out all of the caulk I left some of the liquid remover on the floor of the shower and it ate through the plastic.

850-current-bath-shower-setup.jpg

851-my-mistake.jpg

so my question is two part.....

1) I am assuming the whole shower pan will have to be replaced, so does that mean I am going to have to rip out the entire shower to replace it? it seems like the walls of the shower are some type of marble which overlaps the floor pan so i can only assume that it is glued to the backing and I am going to destroy them in any attempt to remove them.

2) should I just gut the whole thing (I really dont like it anyway and the newer homes being built in the neighborhood have tiled shower tub areas) and do a custom tiled shower?

any advice would be appreciated.

matt

Ouch!! :eek:That is a shame. You will have to take the walls of the shower out to get the pan out. Depending on what the walls are you may be able to re-use them and save some money.

Sounds like you have something like corian or swanstone. These are glued to the wall and may or may not come out in one piece you will just have to give it your best shot. Once you have them out then the shower pan will need to be un-screwed from wall and the drain disconnected and then you can remove it.

Looks like you have hands full.

I guess you could turn a negative into positive and do tile on the floors and walls now, if that is what you really want now it definitely the time to do it since the whole shower needs to come out.

Last edited:
I've seen those tub refinish guys do some pretty amazing repairs with epoxy. That one is kind of large, but worth a try to see if it can be patched. Redoing the shower pan is often an expensive repair.

Back