What Happened to my kitchen

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patience...you see them all day long...:D :rolleyes:
Rome was not built in a day...or two.
Rent the movie "the money pit" you'l get a kick out of the standard contractor answer.
It's gonna be two weeks lady.:D :D

You'll be done as soon as your finished and it will be the end.

Patience...you see them all day long...:D :rolleyes:
Rome was not built in a day...or two.
Rent the movie "the money pit" you'l get a kick out of the standard contractor answer.
It's gonna be two weeks lady.:D :D

You'll be done as soon as your finished and it will be the end.

I didnt realize we has a comedian in the house..........lol

OK... so... the floor is as flat as it is getting... I am attatching pictures of my lazy susan... and hopefully one of you will know just what it is I am supposed to attatch the thing too... I thought that you started with the corner cabinet, got it level and worked your way out.... the LS is sitting on an x of wood... so I can level it.... but shouldnt there be something on the back for me to attatch the thing to the wall? or do I put the two on either side and screw all three together????????

here ya go.... (now the pic of the LS with the cabinet beside it, that cabinet doesnt go there... I was using it for a spacer)

ls front.jpg

ls back.jpg

Those where not jokes...just a little levity.:D
What the %$^& makes me so funny, huh??? (insert Joe Pescie here)

Yup, you are right about attaching the two side cabinets. You will need some shims or blocks between the cabinets to help hold them together.And use some clamps to help hold them at first.

Or you can screw through the face frames which will hold better.
But you need to pre-drill first.
You also need to find the highest part in the floor area to start, otherwise you will be cutting the bottoms of the cabinets to get them level all the way across the kitchen.
Then shim them to where they need to be and install a toe kick at the bottom to meet the floor and cover the shims.
Also install a cleat(board) to the back wall behind the LS to hold the counter top. Do this when you have the cabinets at the correct hieght.

Home because of rain today, you lucked out.
Good luck Shan.

DEFINITELY add the cleats across the wall behind the LS.
It's a terrible thing when the countertop sags in a corner and the mitered joint comes apart. A 2x4 flush with the top of the cabinets across to the corner on the wall.. no biggie.
Screws in the face frame will work best to hold the cabinets together and flush to each other. Just open the door, pre-drill for a screw and tighten them together.
InspectorD has done this before :) The leveling is the most important part of any cabinet install. It will affect the way the doors open and how they swing when opened from now on. Also affects the way the countertop fits and it affects the flush lines of the face frames. A straight edge or a yard stick will help you align that LS with the other cabinets. Just hold it's edge against the fronts and adjust it until there are no spaces behind the straight edge.

I wanna see it when you're done!

ok guys... I am a dingbat this morning.... let me ask a question....

Am I getting the tops of the face frames level with one another first and then.... when the tops are together but the bottoms dont meet... what do you do then... or is that where screwing them together comes into play.... (I do not know what I cant get this in my head but.....)(actually I do know.... I am gonna have to sweat copper pipes together because I have a small leak and I hate that... I suck at it.... so it has me off my game)

and yes.. I will do the water pipe first..... lol

sink base.jpg

I'm going to bet that the floor is low in that corner.

You need to get some shims and start looking for the high point of the floor as it relates to your cabinets.

This is a PDF install guide. It takes a minute to load but it has good illustrations.
http://www.merillat.com/care/framed/installationguide.pdf

yes the floor is low in that corner... you can tell just standing there that it is... this is an area that needs more support under the house...
I really like the guide it was helpful... except now I feel like I have another weeks worth of work to do... lol.... I was thinking I could just screw the cabinets together (face frames even all around of course) shim the sides/front as needed.... drill the backs into studs(leveled of course) and be done with it...... I may haave to rig the kitchen sink and dishwasher on a piece of osb until after the 8th... I go back to work on thursday have sunday off and not another day till next thursday.... and I think I have 2 16 hour shifts in that instead of just 12's....... thought about doing the countertops tonight.....(cutting the hole for the sink).... but I really think that I am just too tired today.... but... I gotta have plumbing going for the fam while I am at work all those days (till the 8th)

btw... here is my copper sweating I did.... pretty proud... went much smoother this time..... maybe i'll be a plumber!!!!!!!!! (not)

good copper sweating.jpg

Don't worry, it sounds like you have the basics covered. Those directions are great from Sq eye.
Never work when you are tired...it creates more tiring work.

Nice plumbin, we never doubted.:D

so.. this morning I was getting up early... gonna go get the 12" cabinet I had been waiting on, pick up the toe kick, buy all the plumbing I needed in order to have running water for the next week until I had a few days off.... It was a pretty morning here... and then all of a sudden.... the sky went dark... flames shot from my eyes.... and I searched for my car keys for the next 5 1/2 hours.... called the school thinking my middle son had them... they wouldnt let me talk to him because he was in testing (state) had to wait...... so I searched and searched and searched... picked up clothes in his room, shook them.. cussed, cried... acted girly...... then at 2:15 I found them... In his pants pocket.... arent I an idiot... at least his school thinks so....
So..... the darkness faded... I went and got the cabinet and plumbing and toekick... along with a 2x4 to measure the floor.... (since I got great instructions on how to properly install cabinets)........so..... I have attatched the faucet and sprayer, installed the sink drain, have the garbage disposal hanging (thanks to the oldest) and now I have to bring the dishwasher in and get it all hooked up.................... so... until next week when the saga returns.......

oh.. I also bought cabinet screws for the cabinets (man those things are expensive!!!!)

I love my kids....and all the tools they misplace or dull for me. It gives me more to do and appriciate the tools I get to keep.:D Sounds like you are on track.
Let us know next week what you need, we'll be around.:)

OK... so today I installed the cleat and screwed the sink base, lazy susan and 12 inch cabinet together..... that was a little difficult at first but I went to Lowes and bought different screws and then it was smooth sailing... I have one cabinet that refused to be flush together no matter what I did... it is level but not totally flush... there is like 1.5 mm between the cabinets.... I cut the counter top..... that wasnt hard... almost like butter... but it isnt straight so I am gonna have to work on that on thursday.... went to hook up the icemaker ( I changed hoses) and the cutoff that is there is 3/8 and the icemaker is 1/4... so... I'm gonna have to change that.... I bought a countersinker .... that helped out alot with the cabinets... I havent cut the larger countertop yet... gotta get up the courage... I hope that I get this finished on my days off this week... I need plumbing in the kitchen and a break... so... here is a picture of what it looks like at the present time... Please disregard the plumbing all over the floor

The tape you see behind the cat is marking where the wall and countertop touch.. it doesnt touch on either side of that so I thought I would try to sand it down or something.....l

DSCF0592.JPG

Hello Shan:
Your countertop needs to be scribed to the wall. Balance the sides up and use something to hold your pencil out to the widest gap. Now mark all along the top edge with that spacer. You can use a plane on the back of the top edge; there is about 3/8" there to work with. It would be a good idea to have the two sides clamped togather before scribing to the wall; just in case the corner is not exactly square, which they seldom are.

Your work is looking nice, keep up the good work!
Glenn

Hello Shan:
Your countertop needs to be scribed to the wall. Balance the sides up and use something to hold your pencil out to the widest gap. Now mark all along the top edge with that spacer. You can use a plane on the back of the top edge; there is about 3/8" there to work with. It would be a good idea to have the two sides clamped togather before scribing to the wall; just in case the corner is not exactly square, which they seldom are.

Your work is looking nice, keep up the good work!
Glenn

Thanks Glenn... I will add that to the to do list at the end of this week!!!!!

OKay so I got the second counter cut... sink hole and all. I also got an adapter of some sort to convert the shut off valve for the icemaker from a 3/8 to 1/4 inch... that is functioning grandly....... now.... either tonight or in the morning I am going to attatch the counters together and then I will need to scribe..... my question is...... Do I need to go buy a belt sander or can I use an orbital sander like the one in this link? http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=2371 I already own this..... More updates to come!!!!!

Belt sander. Porter cable is good for the money.
Buy a cheap one with alot of belts. Start with an 80 grit for the top scribe. Hold the sander at a slight angle to save the belt fron cutting itself.
Great job.:)

so.... I am officially ticked off and done for the time.... glued the countertops together, put the miter bolts on, got everything aligned..... sat the counter top in place to make sure where it was a good fit... had to add some shims to the cleats... got that done.... and while laying the countertop back down..... well.... it isnt pretty.... the miterbolts still kinda work... but the wood holding them in place is broken..... at this point... I dont really care.... I have to put the sink in tonight I have dirty dishes everywhere and I cant cook without it and I cant afford to keep eating out... so... for the time being... the counter is just going to stay the way it is....
a second problem... the counter feels bouncy... will that go away when I attatch it to the cabinets? I sure hope so.....

I look forward to an answer for this one....

ok guys... I know I said I had had it and was done.... but .... after getting most things done in the kitchen (still need upper cabinets)... I concentrated on my school work and finally got that finished up.... so... I would post some pictures of the kitchen, but... my camera is not cooperating with me.... but just wanted to touch base and let you know I hadnt really given up..... just had to turn things down a few notches so that I could get caught up on schoolwork, and needed some time to relax.....

pictures to come as soon as possible

I worked so hard on this! Reading over it all kinda makes me sad, I was so excited and enthusiastic. I wish it looked like this today but it does not.... I need to pull it all out AGAIN, through away 2 cabinets, the flooring the luan and start over. There was a leak that I wasn't made aware of when I didnt live here. Live and learn I suppose.

Latest posts

Back