Sealing Limestone

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidfd85

Reaction score
I am wanting to build a flower bed with natural TX limestone blocks. All the reviews I have been reading is that they are not durable over time. Well no they are not. Limestone is a soft rock. Over time with repeated rain and watering they will break down.
So before I start building this I was thinking I would seal the stone keeping the water out thus making the more durable. The question is what should I use to seal them. Plain stone sealer or something like Thompsons Water sealer or I was also thinking of water based polyurethane (satin finish)

Has anyone else tried this before and how did it work out.

Thanks
David

Welcome to the site.
On the inside facing the dirt you might use something like the black stuff used on house foundations to keep the water out of them on the outside a brick sealer that allows moisture to evaporate but keeps water out, Just thinking, no experience.

we'd use hlm5000 on the outside,,, the blk stuff is just an asphalt emulsion & has no elastomeric qualities,,, siloxanes work well

Back