Ceramic Insulating Paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPISurfer

Reaction score
I've done a preliminary search on putting the ceramic additive in paint to deflect the sun. Can anyone find information where an individual used the paint on their stucco/brick and it lowered their bills or that they were glad that they used it?

The neighbors are sprucing up their house by painting the exterior.

I'm still plugging away on the hurricane rebuild. The dust finally caused the death of my Genie -the shop vac, a stand up deep freezer and my laptop:(

Proud to state that skim coating the ceiling is done and primed. The walls are up and primed. All that hand ringing about putting the metal corner beading up soaked up so much time. I just needed to do it!

The lastest hand ring is removing the mastic, cutback, black stuff off the floor. I hate the stuff. Scrapping, scrapping, sanding, sanding, scrubbing, scrubbing.......

If you're talking about ceramic microspheres, such as the snake oil that's being peddled here:
HY-TECH Insulating paint and insulating house paint additive DIY insulation solutions

I wouldn't believe a thing they say. There is an organization of insulating coatings manufacturers, and hytech's paint additive wasn't even recognized as an IR reflective coating. (Meaning it didn't even work well enough to qualify as an infra red reflective barrier like you see on some foam insulation.

These microspheres have been used as extender pigments in paints for years now, but their purpose has never been to save energy on heating and cooling costs. These spheres are very hard, and as such, provide very good "scrubbability" in paints. Being highly impermeable, they also reduce the propensity of latex paints to stain.

(Yes, it's a real word. "Scrubbability" in paint is the ability of the paint to stand up to hard scrubbing without loosing it's gloss.)

The 3M company is probably the largest US manufacturer of ceramic microspheres. I'd phone them up and ask to speak to someone in their paint & coatings sales division and find out if they've done any investigation into using these microspheres for their insulating ability.

Paints & Coatings, 3M, US, specialty, material, materials, glass, ceramic, ceramics, bubble, bubbles, micro, sphere, microspheres, microsphere, fluid, fluids, liquid, liquids, wet, out, wetting, level, leveling, agent, agents, paint, paints, stain, s

When reading that 3M web page, a "micron" is a millionth of a meter, or one thousandth of a millimeter. A human hair is about 100 microns in diameter. The smallest thing you can see with the naked eye is 20 to 30 microns across. A red blood cell is about 5 microns in diameter. The black pigment used in paint (which is soot, actually) is about 0.001 microns in diameter, or one nanometer across.

Or, phone up Murelo paints. They use these microspheres as extender pigments in their "NanoKote" line of latex paints:

http://www.muralo.com/product_pdfs/nanokote_eggshell_tds.pdf

Maybe ask if anyone using NanoKote has commented on their house feeling warmer or cooler.

Last edited:
I wouldn't accept a affair they say. There is an alignment of careful coatings manufacturers, and hytech's acrylic accretion wasn't even accustomed as an IR cogitating coating. (Meaning it didn't even plan able-bodied abundant to authorize as an infra red cogitating barrier like you see on some cream insulation.

These microspheres accept been acclimated as extender pigments in paints for years now, but their purpose has never been to save activity on heating and cooling costs. These spheres are actual hard, and as such, accommodate actual acceptable "scrubbability" in paints. Being awful impermeable, they aswell abate the ability of acrylic paints to stain.

Ceramic insulating paint gives good insulation . This material is used for low energy level buildings like residential and non-residential, buses, cars etc., It has low thermal conductivity and high reflectivity. As compared to other material, it has 52% less energy to a maintain a constant temperature because it has small micro spheres pack tightly.

Back