floor joist question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have had a floor joist in my basement that has had a spot about a foot long where it looks like it has rotted a bit and was wondering would this be a problem? It has been there since we bought the house and the house inspector never noted this as a problem. Any help would be great

Thanks

JeremyB said:
Hi Guys

I have had a floor joist in my basement that has had a spot about a foot long where it looks like it has rotted a bit and was wondering would this be a problem? It has been there since we bought the house and the house inspector never noted this as a problem. Any help would be great

Thanks

Can you post a photo up for us to see?
We can better understand how bad it it and tell you.

The batteries are dead right now on the wife's camera. I will charge them and post a picture.

If that's the only thing the home inspector missed, count your blessings. Most H.I.'s do a decent job, but sometimes things slip through that should be mentioned as being a potential problem. And then there are the inspectors who should be doing something else for a living--like the woman in S.W. Colorado who regularly makes draw inspections without even getting into the property (doors locked), or who doesn't notice that timber deck columns are more than an inch out of plumb, or who told the buyer to have the concrete driveway replaced before purchase because of a few shallow surface cracks.

That is not rot, it is like a pitch run in the tree. If you look close to the top of the photo' there is a color change where it was planed flat in the mill. Notice to that the timber is a little thinner in the center of the photo, it was wetter there when it was planed and has since dryed out.
Nothing there to worry about.

cheers nealtw, you have made me feel alot better. Im not exactly what you call a real home repair savvy guy. But I have another question that I am just wondering. When a floor joist is nailed to the wooden frame that sits on the foundation, its nailed on the sill right? ( I think thats what its called ) and its also nailed to that foundation frame right? from the outside when the built the house. I hope any of that makes sense,lol

On a house built today, they want three nails into the sill plate and five nails thru the rim joist into the floor joist and the rim joist is toe nailed to the sill plate.

thanks Neal, I also noticed that there is a small crack or split from the nail that is toenailed, is this common?

Last edited:
Thanks again for clearing up these questions I had I really do appreciate it.

Hi again Fellas

After looking at the pic I posted I realize that I should have taken a better pic. I have re posted a new one here for you guys to take a look at.

IMG_3024.jpg

Back