deck post has shift up an inch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss1289

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently built a deck and put the footings post into concrete filled holes. When I installed them it was very dry and recently we got a lot of rain and the posts have shifted up about an inch or so. This happened within months of putting the post into the ground. It looks like the posts have shift out of the concrete instead of the concrete shifting up also, based on the fact that I can see the line on the post where the concrete had been filled up to sitting a half inch above the concrete. I realize I probably didn't take enough precautions when putting a wood post directly into concrete but I was trying to figure how why the shift happened and if it will eventually settle back into place.

Timber swells when it picks up moisture, but only in the thickness and not the length, generally it will become tighter in the post or crack the concrete, and not push up.

If it has lifted up, and it's not just staining caused by splash back, then something else is pushing or pulling it up, whether it will settle depends on what that is.

Latest posts

Back