cheap way to "finish" wall in garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmjmed

Reaction score
I have a single outside wall in my garage that I am trying to finish on the inside. I have already installed insulation. The other two walls were finished by the builder with sheetrock. Since this area is used mainly for a catch all or game room it certainly doesn't have to be perfect. I would like to know what is the less expensive way to give a "finished" look to that wall (do not want to hire someone to do sheetrock). I was thinking pressed board or MDF or something of that nature. Also have to do the area above the garage door. I also put insullation on the door. Looks kinda dumb but I think it is keeping it warmer in there. Will hang some sort of covering over that maybe. HELP....

Welcome aboard.
I would do Sheetrock.
Try this link for a do it yourself, anyone here will tell you it's worth your time to learn. And easy to do.
http://hwtv.jlconline.com/default.asp?bcpid=1184514373&bclid=1184468643&bctid=1184542811
This will be the least expensive for you to do yourself.
Or, Compare other 1/2 inch materials at the lumberyard for prices. Stay away from 1/4 inch paneling in a garage. The fluctuations of temperature over time warps it , and this really looks bad.

Good luck.

I'd second the sheet rock idea, as you can't find a less expensive material. If you really don't want to tape it, just leave the open seams. It will still look better than open studs.

Welcome aboard.
I would do Sheetrock.
Try this link for a do it yourself, anyone here will tell you it's worth your time to learn. And easy to do.
JLC Site Solutions offers online videos demonstrating professional building techniques for drywall, tile, framing and finish carpentry
This will be the least expensive for you to do yourself.
Or, Compare other 1/2 inch materials at the lumberyard for prices. Stay away from 1/4 inch paneling in a garage. The fluctuations of temperature over time warps it , and this really looks bad.

Good luck.
Totaly,Totaly agree
:):):):)

I too vote for sheetrock. It is inexpensive and easy to install. You should also think about a vapor barrier.

Agree that sheetrock is the least expensive, but in my garage I am always hanging things on the walls and I find that 1/2" plywood lasts a lot longer. As far as looks, if you are carefull with the seams when you hang it and then put on a good coat of paint, it matches the rest of the garage pretty good.

+1 for plywood...a lot handier in a garage than drywall!

Inspector D
Thanks for posting the dry wall link. I needed to review mudding and sanding. Now that we've been at this a while, we've picked up on a few tricks we which we over looked before starting. We're still putting off applying the metal bead. Do you have any links that show how to install and mud it?

If you "google" Install metal corner bead" you get all kinds of answers. Here is one.Install Drywall Bullnose Corner Bead
There are different products out there, but this covers a few options.
I always do the screw in method. I never have any delamination or cracks.
Good luck.

No more excuses. I found the answer on this site. I'm finally applying the metal beading. I'm make straight cuts instead of mitered as suggested. Hope I can mud and feather this out correctly. We're going for super flat walls with angular corners.

I would do drywall unless you have a garage like mine. It is detached from the house and does get some water in during heavy rains. I opted for 7/16" MDX. I don't have to worry about finding studs when I hang certain items which makes it nice. Think of a garage drywall job as good practice. It's a garage. If you really want it to look nice hang it yourself and then have someone else come in and mud/tape. That won't be "cheap" however.

Whatever you do, paint it with a quality primer and top-coat. Especially the house wall, as the water on your vehicle is warmed, goes air-borne, and heads for that warm wall.
Be safe, GBR

Back