Floor truss too long!!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbailey

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and desperate for some advice. I am having a house built utilizing 2x4 floor trusses. I have already installed the trusses for the third story floor. The subject trusses are the second story floor trusses, which are approximately 25ft long and cantilevered at one end. The overhang is 4'8" and I need to shorten the (overhang) truss by 12". Does anyone know if this can be done?

Last edited:
You need a structural engineer that specializes in trusses to review all of the loads involved to determine a repair strategy before trying to shorten these trusses. I have several contacts for this kind of thing if you are interested.

A lot of times the people who made your trusses can check and tell how it can be done since they have all the calculations already.

Thanks to both of you for your your suggestions. I made a call to the manufacturer late Friday and they are comining to the job site Monday to take a look. I will update you on what the status after my meeting.

O. K I know the trusses are to long, did you order them or did they send them to long and why did it take till the 3rd story to find out the second story were to long????

Latest posts

Back