Question about compact florescent bulbs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question about compact florescent bulbs. Some of them have a plastic cover shaped like an incandescent bulb. How tough are those covers? How much of a whack would it take to knock it off the base? How much of a blow would it take to break the cover itself?

Odd question. They don't really manufacture light bulbs with rate impact specifications. All I can tell you is take a whack at it and decide for yourself.
However, there is always a question behind a question, why do you ask?

I use one in my drop light and it seems to hold up better than a filament bulb. The filament always came loose when I would bump or drop it.

I was concerned because I wondered what it would take to release the mercury. I figured if the cover broke off, there is a good chance the glass inside would break.

Looks expensive. I couldn't find a price.

I just bought an led lamp at Walgreen's. It cost $3.99 plus tax, it puts out 450 lumens, and it uses about 8 watts. I would have liked to get one with around 800 lumens, but I did not see any.

Back