can I use epdm rubber as siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrowes

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious observations that it wouldn't look like other house in the neighborhood, are there any functionality issues with using epdm rubber as siding?

I have a 20 foot high, 32x64 box shaped flat roofed (epdm) house I am building. I am thinking to tack the siding epdm under the eaves and then tack it again at the sill in a 10x21foot strip, then tape the seams. After that I would cut out the window openings and lap seal the epdm to the vinyl window frame

Waterproof, tough, cheap, fast, little effort. Anything I am missing except for aesthetics?

View a walkthrough and a brief look (last few seconds) at the exterior here:
http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/~d30574x/other/MVI_5627.mpg

bb

House won't be able to breath through EPDM.

The walls consist of (from inside to out): 5/8" drywall, 3/4" OSB, the 3.5" XPS insulation spray foamed at all the joints. Assuming the spray foam stuck to the XSP, there shouldn't be any breathing anyway.

Alternatively, I could leave a small gap at the bottom for air to circulate under the EPDM, but I would rather not if I don't have to.

Did you end up building your EPDM wrapped house, and would you do anything differently? I’m considering a similar basic box design and haven’t found any case studies, I’m curious about it’s longevity and heat gain. Epdm facades has been installed in Europe and one house in the US

Attachments

• 02DC9D72-1AC5-48F0-A356-E5B9B6C5832E.png
    02DC9D72-1AC5-48F0-A356-E5B9B6C5832E.png
    519.1 KB · Views: 3
Did you end up building your EPDM wrapped house, and would you do anything differently? I’m considering a similar basic box design and haven’t found any case studies, I’m curious about it’s longevity and heat gain. Epdm facades has been installed in Europe and one house in the US
A house like that would have me bouncing off the walls. :coffee:

The thread was started in 2012 and the OP hasn’t posted again. My guess is he is no longer around these parts.

Welcome to the forum though.

I covered my workshop with rolled roofing the granular covered cheap asphalt stuff. It has worked out well and holds up much better as siding than roofing. I put PT wood strips 24” OC. I think it looks ok and the neighbor approved over the way it was.

Back