Wiring sconces for temporary use?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbyqueue

Reaction score
Good morning! I am in the middle of a house re-wiring that’s going to replace all of the electrical in my entire home. Unfortunately, in the middle of the job, my electrician got sick and will not be able to finish the job before Thanksgiving. One of the jobs is to mount wall sconces in my dining room. He mounted the sconces – there are four of them – and hardwired them into the wall. Each sconce has a switch like a lamp. However the wiring is simply hanging down into my unfinished basement; it has not actually been connected to anything. I would like the sconces to be functional for Thanksgiving. Is it easy enough to wire these to some sort of junction box in the basement myself or is there some type of battery operated light bulbs that I can screw into the sconces to make them work temporarily for Thanksgiving day? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Welcome!

Are the wires hanging from the basement ceiling romex, or individual conductors and how long are they?

It's Romex run directly from the sconces down the walls, through the floor, and hanging (coiled up and secured with cable ties) down into my basement. They're pretty lengthy -- at least a few feet each?

Thanks.

A safe way would be to terminate them into a 4s box attached to the bottom of a floor/ceiling joist, but not shortening them because you don't know what the electrician had planned. The slack portion is coiled above the bottom of the joists and the individual runs are securely stapled.

You can also add a 14/3 extension cord to the 4s box, also secured, and plug it into your basement GFCI.

I'll probably get all sorts of crap for this post, but it's what I would do, were it my situation.

Because, IT'S TEMPORARY.

Last edited:
That sounds way beyond my capability... also, I don't have a basement GFCI to my knowledge.

That sounds way beyond my capability... also, I don't have a basement GFCI to my knowledge.

We teach.

GFCI is an assumption and if you have a regular recepticle or a switched light fixture, we can work from there.

Another alternative are touch-n-play LED's.

Depending on the age of your house a GFCI is required in an unfinished basement or around wet areas (kitchens, bathrooms, garages, and outdoor outlets). If your house is old, you may not have one in the basement. Something to think about while you're getting the place rewired.

I'm used to technology-based forums, where experts "answer" your questions with sarcasm and general douchebaggery. So thank you, it's much appreciated.

The closest thing to these Romex danglers is a light bulb fixture (likely with the house's old wiring still in it). There's also a switch on the ceiling next to the fixture and I have no idea what the switch controls (it's not the light bulb -- that's switched at the top of the stairs).

What are these touch-n-play LEDs of which you speak?

Oh yeah -- I'm sure the couple of basement outlets that I have will be replaced with GFCIs; they're just not there yet. Like I said, the job was halfway completed when he got hurt.

The LED's I'm speaking of are carried by "ACE is the Place". they are touch-n-play, powered by 3 AAA batteries, are about 3.5" in diameter an have 3 brightness levels.

If your fixtures are open topped they will probably sit comfortably atop the threaded lamp holder so you can reach in and push for the brilliance you desire.

For your shopping pleasure;

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3266862

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ecolight-3-Pack-3-in-Battery-Puck-Lights/1000034691

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rite-Lite-LED-White-Puck-Light-6-Pack-LPL626WBX/202218461

Last edited:
Back