What is this thing in the basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matts19

Reaction score
I want to buy this house which is sold as-is, so I can't have it inspected... I noticed this hole in the basement, I am wondering what it is. There seems to be some kind of sewer pipes half-buried and does not seem like this is where sump pump used to be. Anyone knows about this..? And I don't like the fact that it was wet...

IMG_0818.jpg

Looks to be the water meter, in my area (very small town) all the meters up until about 1995 were only in the house. Then they started running a wired meter to the outside of the house for a quicker reading.
On a side note
Are you sure about having an inspection? Most as-is properties will still allow an inspection. As is just means the seller won't make any repairs.

First; just 'cuz the house is sold as-is doesn't mean you can't have it inspected; it just means you can't use that info to bargain with. A good home inspector can help you detect problems and make a list of fixes for when you're the owner.

The house i grew up in had something like that. My dad called it the trap. Not to scare me, but because (he said) it could trap water that may get into the basement. I'm sure someone here will chime in with a more technical answer, but I see a cleanout for your main drain and access for your water supply. Although it is not a sump, I've heard that a "trap" can relieve any hydrostatic pressure under your basement floor, and allow standing water a place to escape.

As is shouldn't mean you can have an inspection to know what you are getting into. It just means what ever you find you have deal with on your own.

The picture is of the water meter and the sewer line exiting the house. I don't know why there is an open concrete section around it.

Do local codes ever prohibit burying plastic-to-cast iron joints in concrete? If so, maybe could explain the hole? ... or is that all cast iron?

Latest posts

Back