My new thermostat doesn't cool, it only heats.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdoddridge

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new CT30 Radio Thermostat, and upon finishing installing it, I found it only pumps hot air. I set the little switches to 'Norm' and 'Electric' and Wired it up with the wires, when I found my new thermostat doesn't have an 'R' screw. My old thermostat had W, W2, Y, G, and R, (with a jumper to Rc.) my new thermostat had W, W2, Y, G, and Rh, with a jumper to Rc, so we put the R in the Rh, and it only pumped hot air, so we tried putting it in the Rh, and that also didn't work, should we take out the Jumper? What should we do?

reinstall the thermostat with a jumper between Rh and Rc but, leave off the wires to W and W2.
this is a temporary setup to see if it will provide cooling.

Heat pump or straight A/C ? Is the power circuit breaker / disconnect to the condenser unit on .

Is the low voltage wire from the furnace to the condenser OK ? Or has it fallen victim to four or two legged vermin or weed eaters ?

Is the low voltage wiring at the furnace OK ?

Was the old tstat working OK ? If so , re-install it .

God bless
Wyr

It does not sound like you have a common - C wire . You did install the batteries , didn't you ?

You have electric resistance heat ?

God bless
Wyr

Back