Tile on brick patio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danno54

Reaction score
I want to instal tile over a small brick patio.What kind of tile can I use and what should I do for floor preparation,the surface is pretty level and even with only slight surface variations also this area will be exposed to the elements

I'm not all that shore if there is a better way then to clean the bricks good, You will want to morter the top of the bricks to its completely flat filling the voids and lines with a none notch trowel.
Once that's done and dryed you can use morter again or thinset pending on your tile and notch size for your tile install.
I think you want a slate tile for out doors not porcelain or ceramic.

Last edited:
Are the bricks set in mortar on concrete or are they set in sand? There is obviously a big difference difference what you can do regarding a surface treatment.

Dick

Also with this same project I'm going to extend this small brick patio with a paver extension the pavers are about 1 1/2 inch thick should I use a pure sand base or a sand and and gravel base is the thickness that important I plan to be about 3 to 4 inches thick. This area will only have foot traffic.I'm in the process of tilling and leveling the area right now thanx

The main problem you are going to have is that the brick surface will move and crack the tile over time. You will a bed of concrete and a crack isolation membrane. Any type of tile that is approved for outdoor installation will work natural stone or ceramic.

Can anyone tell me if I should go with a sand gravel mixture,pure sand or gravel then sand these pavers are 2 inches thick and this is an area which will have only foot traffic I would like to get by with maybe 4 inches of either,its going on top regular soil.

Back