Cost to have shower professionally tiled?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindmill

Reaction score
I have my shower about ready for tile, but it has some complicated angles, as you can see in the picture (finished attic space), and I'm thinking about having someone tile it. I haven't put in the second mortar bed, so I'll have them do that too.

6352030636_5452180791.jpg

I had a friend of a friend who owns a reputable tile company quote me 1400 in labor for the mortar bed, red guard everything, and tile it all. He'll also get me tile at his cost. I really don't know much about what this would normally cost. Can anyone give me an idea of what this sort of job would typically run me? The shower floor is about 42" x 62" and it's 7' high in the middle...there's a large bench on the right. He'll be using 12x12 ceramic on the walls, with glass tile accent up the middle of the wall with the fixtures.

Did he come and look at what you have done so far or just give you a guess?
I would refuse to do the job myself. You have the shower head pointing at the door which will cause leaks, is there some sort of stepover threshold going in to keep water in the shower area? Is that back wall an outside wall? If so pipes should never be run through an outside wall due to a chance of freezing.
How do you plan on venting this bathroom?
Did someone install a shower drain made for tile?
Did you get a permit for this work?
Does the seat have a slope so water will not pool up on it?
And yes that sounds like a fair price to charge.

Last edited:
Wow. He came in and measured. The shower head is coming from the ceiling. I'm not sure what you see...maybe the line for the hand shower. its an outside wall, but there's 4" of foam insulation behind the pipes. There's an exhaust fan above the shower. Of course the drain is for tile Of course the seat is sloped. I'm not sure where I said I had no clue what I was doing, or if that was a fair price. I simply asked for a guess at what that job would typically cost.

Look around at some of the other posters questions and see why I would think the worst.
There's no vent shown in the picture and all we can see is the control valve and a 1/2 pipe hole in the wall just above it, I've seen far to many DIY things like this to not question what got done.

In the end, I ended up spending about 2100 for the second mortar bed and tiling, including the marble slab on the bench and curb, and all the tile. It's only about 130 square feet of tile, but there are a lot of angles to deal with. I'm certainly happy with the finished product.
6386445051_d4e52e416d_z.jpg

Back