New member, new house, lots of questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertThoreson

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Rob. I just bought a "new" house and altho I am very handy and have many skills, this is a historic home and there is alot to do and I want to do it right. We will be closing on the house on or before 11/17/17 so as of now I have limited access to the interior but as soon as I do, I will post pics. It has a porch that needs repair, wiring upgrades half done and unfinished 3rd floor but it's one of the 3 oldest homes in town and I'm looking forward to adding my last name to the history of this town.

Congratulations on the new to you home and hope you have deep pockets, when I hear "historical, older home" All I see is dollar signs. LOL

Congrats Rob and welcome to the forum.

I have done two “older historic homes” the first was one of the ten oldest homes still standing in the town I grew up in. I don’t know about the deep pockets part as that will depend a lot on what shape the place is in. But I will attest to the plan on spending many, many personal hours doing stuff around the house that your neighbors in new homes wont be doing. It needs to be a labor of love and it sounds like you want that and the reward of keeping a small part of your local history alive.

It is very hard to keep a old place 100% historically accurate and the historical registries and such ask for some unrealistic things if you wish to be listed. There is a fine line between that and being able to maintain and live in it and sometimes you need to take advantage of the modern improvements.

Looking forward to your pics and projects. We will be here to help as best we can.

So this is a older pic of the house. I'm not sure how old but the porch is not enclosed anymore and the trees are different

Thomas, Dr. & Alma.jpg

Latest posts

Back