Shutoff valves... help!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shut off valves in my house are the old style not the quarter turn.... I would like to replace them, partial because even though they are working, I had to mash some of the handles in order to be able to turn the water off when I bought the house.... I have the new quarter turn valves, but I cant get the old ones off.... do I need a benzomatic to heat up the connection in order to get them off, am I going to have to cut them off? I have tried wd-40, (these are copper sorry) I have had no luck though and would like to replace these before I am at work one day for 14 house and come back to a swimming pool instead of a house.... also, I am off for the next 10 days except for one so If anyone has a quick reply I can get right on it!!!!!

I should add also that the valves on the pipes are the screw on type.... (sweat valve??? I think).... there were not just soldered on ... the copper pipe from the wall does have threads on it.

To the library for a book on plumbing, or buy one. This will be invaluable when you need to identify things you are lookin at on the spot. Yes you need a mappgas torch which you can get now at any plumbing outlet store. These are great with the trigger starts, worth the $50.

Then post some pictures if you have any questionable areas.:)

Back