favorite / least favorite brand of tools

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30 years ago when I bought tools Porter-Cable was always my first choice. Their stuff was heavy duty and USA made, although a bit pricey. But now they're part of Black and Decker and I'm sure the quality is nowhere near the same.

Lately I've been pretty happy with DeWalt tools, both corded and cordless. I have the 12v drill/driver set with Lithium Ion batteries and love the compact size while still having decent power for a 12v set. For heavier work I have the Craftsman 19.2v Li-Ion drill/driver set and it also has served me well. For even heavier work I break out my old Porter-Cable corded hammer drill, nothing stops that.

Another tool brand that I've been pleasantly surprised by is Worx. I bought their 18" electric chainsaw and it's far exceeded my expectations. I dropped and cut up 4 big walnut trees with this saw with no problem at all. I liked it so much that when we decided to buy a cordless weedeater I got the Worx 20v model, and it has also worked out quite well.

I'll have to agree with those who say you have to be careful what you buy at Harbor Freight. They do sell some real junk, but some of their stuff is a bargain when you look at the price. Something I use very infrequently, I'll chance HF, and sometimes the tool is better than I expected. When I was drilling the anchor holes for my lift I needed a big SDS hammer drill and bought one at HF for something like $70. I'd have spent almost that much to rent one, and it drilled the holes easily.

I am officially boycotting craftsman tools. I've been through several ratchets and on my last warranty return they gave a refurbished ratchet instead of a new one.

I am officially boycotting craftsman tools. I've been through several ratchets and on my last warranty return they gave a refurbished ratchet instead of a new one.

The last time I took one in they gave me a rebuild kit.:eek:

I am still holding a little hope for Craftsmen. I don't mind a refurbished ratchet since there is only about 2-3 moving parts in them. I haven't broken one in years, really since I learned what a breaker bar was and not to hammer or put a pipe on the end of a 3/8" ratchet. I have broken a lot of tools but I can't remember ever breaking one while using it properly.

I am still holding a little hope for Craftsmen. I don't mind a refurbished ratchet since there is only about 2-3 moving parts in them. I haven't broken one in years, really since I learned what a breaker bar was and not to hammer or put a pipe on the end of a 3/8" ratchet. I have broken a lot of tools but I can't remember ever breaking one while using it properly.

The gear will ware even if not abused. I quit years ago when the replacement wrenches and socket were the quality of the cheapest stuff on the market.

Maybe I need to wrench more? I have a few that I have had for 20 years and still work like new. I take mine apart from time to time to clean and oil them. I do have about five 3/8" Ratchets and couple 1/2" a couple 3/4" and a few 1/4". We use the 3/4" ones at work with breaker bars and in the mud and in six years haven't had to replace one yet. Maybe I just got lucky? I do have a bunch of Proto tools but they seem to be the same quality. I have Snap on but they seem over proud of their tools so its hard to fork out the money for them when my other tools suit me just fine.

What do you use yours for that they are failing? I always thought I was abusive to tools.

only time i have ever broken a ratchet was when i put a cheater bar on it.

I don't use them much anymore but I have spent alot of time under the hood of a car or ten. Never broke one the 3/8 gears worn out a few times. The cheaper ones have less teeth on the gear, not good in tight spaces but the gears last longer.

I'm a big fan of Channellock, love their work. B&D tools being the worst.

I bought my first set of tools (PROTO ) in 1954 when I started as an apprentice mechanic for Eastern Air Lines. I used these tools until I retired in 1989 and never had to replace any, including the 3/8 and 1/4 inch drive ratchets,which I am still using.

I like this tool
1941443_708282715971263_3785965917126332633_o.jpg

I have to add California Air Tools to my list of favorite brands. My air compressor died a few months ago, so decided to purchase a new one online Bought the CAT 6310 and absolutely love it. Probably the quietest air compressor available. Well done California Air Tools, you have been added to my favorite tools list.

At 69 yrs old I've gone through my share of tools. I have a lot of air tools by Porter Cable (nailers of different sizes). Also a Porter Cable circular saw. I have the Milwaukee Sawzall, 90 degree angle drill, and grinder. DeWalt drill battery operated. A Skill table saw. Makita compressor and small sander. Ridgid band saw. Craftsman tools and a set of Snap On . Ridgid pipe wrenches. DeWalt corded drills, mitre saw,and jig saw. Skill belt Sander. Craftsman sander. Old Craftsman corded drill (over 40 yrs old).
I also prefer US made. I did get a cordless ryobi cordless drill driver which is not that bad.

I don't know what the exact name of this tool is, but it's similar to a laser and it removes rust from metal.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfczxBWJuNg[/ame]

A friend from Israel shared the link with me and I thought it looked cool.

AW, hell, I can't afford it!!!!

How much is the laser cleaner thingy anyway?

Back