Roof / Chimney / leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing decorative or functional about the flashing he fabricated. It took a lot more creative thinking to do it incorrectly than it would of to do it properly. Ever thing that shows will be a problem in the future. Flashing NEVER allows water to flow up under the flashing. Kinda like tucking your raincoat in your pants and wondering why your britches are wet. ( where have I heard that expression before)

Miriam, I'm sorry, your roofer doesn't have a clue on how to flash a chimney. The "L" flashing on the outside will channel water up under the counter flashing. Any airborne debris, pollen, leaves, dust will only make it worse. Tell him to look at the SMNACA manuel or go to the shingle MFG's website to see how to properly step and counter flash a chimney. If he tells you he's been doing it this way for years, tell him he's been doing it wrong.

So, I am trying to locate something at the GAF website about the flashing but simply cannot. The contractor says that under the showing flashing there is the flashing itself. I have no idea why he would install two sets of flashing to be "decorative". In all honesty, I have no idea what to do about it all. I am not able to verify what he is saying and my husband is too nice to say anything. So, what is the thing for me to do?

So, I am trying to locate something at the GAF website about the flashing but simply cannot. The contractor says that under the showing flashing there is the flashing itself. I have no idea why he would install two sets of flashing to be "decorative". In all honesty, I have no idea what to do about it all. I am not able to verify what he is saying and my husband is too nice to say anything. So, what is the thing for me to do?

Live close to Nashville? I'd be happy to explain to him how flashing works.

It looks to me that you would have to stand on the naibours roof to see this flashing, so I am left with the question. Why did he put it there? If he did a good job of flashing why did he feel the need for a cover up.

Live close to Nashville? I'd be happy to explain to him how flashing works.

Unfortunately not. We are in WI, near Milwaukee. I had the guy come over this week. He brought a mason with him, who said the chimney is much better than he thought. I will do the tuck point myself and am thinking about applying a sealant to it. I have heard about Siloxane spray sealer and want to ask around here if that is the way to go. Also, as for mortar, is there a specific kind I shall look for?

He will be back to look at couple areas, but is totally set on the idea that the problem is being cause by the chimney. I will ask him to remove the "decorative" flashing so we can look beneath it. We ran some water to test it, but could not reproduce the problem.

It is rather frustrating. I just want to have it checked properly and repaired as needed.

I appreciate the help from all of you. Updates will come.

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

Water testing and not being able to replicate a leak is sometimes a result of water saturation in brick and mortar walls. If the leak only shows up after periods of prolonged rain, try repairing the mortar doing the tuck pointing and then seal the chimney with a masonry specific sealer.

As far as the flashing, your roofer needs to learn proper flashing techniques.

Thank you Oldog. I will work on the tuck pointing this week or so. Can you recommend an ideal mortar as well as sealant?
Be well
Miriam

Look in the Yellow pages and find a supply house that deals with masonry contractors. Tell them what you are trying to do and have them recommend products for your chimney. Stay away from the Big Box stores.

Just my :2cents:

Back