Is solar energy worth it in low sun/cold climates?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost everyone has a roof where PV can be mounted, BUT you need to make them so they can be quickly removed in the event of a fire because they can't be turned off and one of the most common places for fires is in the attic, so they often have to cut through the roof (and solar panels!) which is a significant shock potential to firemen.

Solar Panel System Dangers : Florence Township Fire Department

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=explosive-gas-silane-used-to-make-photovoltaics

Solar Safety for Firefighters: The Myths and the Facts

Last edited:
Solar power is derived from the energy inherent in sunlight. A days worth of sunlight contains enough energy to meet our needs for an entire year. The energy capture, however, is one based on a chemical reaction. It is not heat oriented or sensitive. A solar panel receiving the same amount of sunlight will produce the same electrical current whether the temperature is ninety degrees or nine. In short, it doesn't matter if you live in a cold climate. The real issue is the amount of sunlight you receive.

Yeah, I wouldn't invest it in unless you adequate sunshine. Also, if you really wanted to get in done you should become really knowledgeable about it since it's a pretty big step.

Let's not forget that in 2012 Germany reached their goal of providing 30% of their energy form solar. Yes, Germany. If they don't have much sun at all, besides the summer, it can be done in many other places.

I have a roof facing south with full sun exposure from sunrise to sunset. A local professional solor company come and gave me a 100% supplemental quote... well after all the incentives and subsidies offered by the Fed govt and state and local govts of PA, my out of pocket bill was going to be approx. $35,000. He then proceeded to sell me on a fancy way of looking at return on investment that was WAY over my head. I went home and this is the math I wrote out on a napkin:

$35,000 (not including interest charged on financing) divided by $100p/m normal monthly electric bill = 350 months or 29yrs. of normal electric bills assuming no fluctutions, plus additional time to pay off interest accrued, plus additional time to pay off maintenance needed. Assuming I'll need a new roof in the next 5-10 years, didn't help the sell, then again after another 20-30yrs led me to realize i'm pissing in the wind.

final answer was "no" for me. Hope this helped in some weird way

I have a roof facing south with full sun exposure from sunrise to sunset. A local professional solor company come and gave me a 100% supplemental quote... well after all the incentives and subsidies offered by the Fed govt and state and local govts of PA, my out of pocket bill was going to be approx. $35,000.

That's hard to believe. Did you get more than one quote? Maybe this guy was selling hot air.

The insolation for nearby San Francisco is not all that bad
http://www.porta-energy.com/Insolation_USA.htm
Figure your house will need 1 kw for a yearly average, which is maybe a 7 sq. yd panel.
With sunlight only 5 hrs/day you'd need about 35 sq. yds.

Last edited:
[ame]http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=define:+insolation&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8[/ame]
You're welcome! :D

In CA, the model design does NOT involve batteries so the cost is much lower. Bobodu I know has batteries (old technolog around here) Even in overcast days, solar energy gets through. The power is sent onto the grid to offset your electricity bill. You get a rebate if your net upload exceeds your usage -- but you get a discount based on your total upload anyway. State of CA has tax rebates which really help too.

The best way is to call Solar Alliance (very active in CA) and ask!

Would it be worth the money to invest in solar energy?
I don't think so. As others here have mentioned, it will take too long time to recover your money.

Do cold temperatures affect how efficient panels are?
Yes, they do.

Last edited:
Back