Hammering sound when flushing after wax ring replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bes13

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm definitely not experienced with plumbing issues but I successfully replaced the wax ring for my toilet yesterday. The problem is that after I reinstalled the toilet and reconnected it to the wall I get this jackhammering noise now for about 15 seconds when I flush. I can change the intensity of the hammering if I turn the valve in either direction but I'm clueless on how to fix this. I've got the valve at the same degree (about half open) as it was before I replaced the wax ring.

Any help is appreciated! I just hope I'm not damaging my pipes. Thanks!

It is probably the washer in your angle stop valve vibrating as water flows through it. Try opening it fully, as it should be.

The wax ring is totally unrelated to the jack hammer except in one way. You had to shut the valve to lift the toilet. If the above advice doesn’t work it’s time to replace the valve. Lately about half the toilets I do anything to shutting the water off wrecks the valve. Valves are made to be used some and sitting for years in one position they want to take a seat in that position and then you shut them and things break inside and then can flop around causing something like your problem or more likely will in the future not shut off 100% or leak a little when it is shut off on to the floor. The little shut off valves are not the best quality and cheap to replace.

Have seen this before and Havasu is right ...The angle stop is the best culprit ... but ... open it fully then back it off a bit. This helps prevent freezing the valve due to mineral buildup. When you have to work on it again, first turn it to FULL ON to release any minerals clinging to the valve THEN turn it off.

Quarter turn angle stop is what you should be getting at your local hardware store if you want to replace it.

Back