Help Diagnosing Gas Dryer Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping for some help diagnosing a problem with our gas dryer!

Symptom 1: We first noticed the dryer not heating after doing multiple loads of laundry back to back...i.e. it would do fine with the first load and if we started another load it wouldn't heat for long. If we waited until the next day or something like that, it would heat again. This has progressed into the dryer not heating at all anymore, even on the first load.

Symptom 2: Not sure if this could be related, but we have also noticed that the dryer would keep running after the clothes were dry. For example we put on a load before going to bed and woke up in the AM with the dryer still running, cold inside, but the clothes dry.

I recently put a new belt in this dryer so I'd love to fix it again if possible. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? I'm handy with a DMM or whatever other tools necessary.

Here's the make/model info:
IMG_5884_zpsuap1qt2z.jpg

As far as not turning off, the problem could be with the humidity sensor(s).
They detect the lack of moisture and turn the dryer off when the clothes are dry.
If this is defective it could have closed the gas valve as to no longer provide heat when it thinks the clothes are dry. Might also be a bad thermocoupler that isn't letting the gas valve open.

Well...I tried to fire up the dryer last night to see if the ignitor was glowing, etc, and the dryer fired up no problem.

So, it appears it's not a blown fuse. What could cause an intermittent problem like this??? :help:

High limit switch would be my first guess.

Latest posts

Back