please advise me what this is.... please help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexalex

Reaction score
I saw bank owned house and I like this house except for strange orange thing.. coming out from ventilating cap on outer wall.
please tell me what this is...
Please help.

yellow.jpg

yellow2.jpg

While it could be fungus, it's more likely someone tried to seal it with expandable polyurethane foam. They put a lot in and it expanded. I usually cut off the excess afterwards.

Looks like it was a badly finished foam insulation product. Too much foam was injected, resulting in the formation of the bubble, and the drips and runs on the siding were caused by carelessness, or sloppy craftsmanship. The bubble can be cut off clean, and you can try to remove the drips and runs, but might have to dress up the mess with a color matched paint.

yea, its expanding foam insulation - as said - cut it off and scrape area clean. I would also try and peek into the vent and make sure the vent wasnt compressed closed by the expanding foam. This is most likely an outlet for a bathroom exhaust fan, possibly a dryer exhaust.

Acetone dissolves dried expanding foam insulation.

However, if this house has vinyl siding on it, check in an inconspicuous spot that acetone doesn't also dissolve your vinyl siding.

I agree that it looks more like expanding foam than anything else, especially considering that any condensation out of that duct would drip downward, and yet you see the same stuff on the SIDE of the duct where there would be no condensation dripping down.

Some yahoo foamed it from the attic, it's a bath fan. Notice the roof line above. Or, the foreclosed owner fixed it before he left.......... Be safe, G

While it probably is expanding foam, it does look suspiciously similar to something I saw in a horror movie once. Keep an eye on it, especially if it appears to be growing larger or if people that go into that house start turning into zombies.

(The blob I saw on TV ate people's brains and keeped getting bigger until the army had to be called in to destroy it, but even they couldn't. So, you might want to take care of the problem while it's still small.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back