Anybody work with Hardie Panels?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
I'm about to do a small project where I will put a piece of Hardie Panel under a window where siding used to be. I haven't worked with the stuff before, so a couple of quick questions:

If I'm only going to make a handful of cuts, how important is it to use a Hardie blade on my circ. saw? Can I get away with a standard blade or even a plywood blade?

I understand that cut edges need to be primed. Is there a recommended primer to use? A specialty product?

I have dealt with hardie backer a lot but not hardie panel, I assume they are about the same. I use an old wood blade and it lasts a long time but won't want to use it on wood again.

I have used diamond blades but the wood blade cuts faster and less dust.

I've cut quite a bit of the plank which I believe is the same thickness. Just used my 4.5" Porter Cable cordless circular saw with a wood blade. Works fine. It will dull the blade quicker than wood so don't use your best one. Watch the dust though because there is quite a bit, you don't want to be breathing it. I used regular latex exterior primer and paint on mine and it still looks great.

Cut it from the back side so the chipping happens where it's not going to show.
No way would I use a plywood blade.
It's super brittle so have two people when handling it.

I have circular saw I dedicated to cutting concrete and Hardiplank - Hardipanel. It creates a lot of dust and will eat up a good saw. Blow it out with an air compressor after you're done.

I have circular saw I dedicated to cutting concrete and Hardiplank - Hardipanel. It creates a lot of dust and will eat up a good saw. Blow it out with an air compressor after you're done.

Rig something to dribble water on the cut like a wet saw

Thanks everyone. Good to know that I can cut it with a wood blade - don't really feel like dropping $50+ bucks on a hardie Blade. I have been warned about the dust and I have heard the diamond blade creates more dust than most. I have a backup blade that will be a perfect sacrificial for this. And good to know about the primer. Thanks again.

Back