Siding Gaps on Victorian House

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
My house was built in 1895, with a coal-burning furnace in the basement, no fireplaces. It still has much of the original siding, though it is covered in several layers of paint. I have noticed that the walls feel colder on windy days. I have sealed up the gaps between parts of the foundation and the wood that rests on the foundation. I also noticed that the siding is spaced off the outer wall by about a quarter inch. I would imagine this was for air circulation.

My question is whether this gap should be left open, or should it be closed up since the heating medium is different now?

Thanks again.

Vince

Siding a.jpg

Sometime in the last twenty years someone asked why those Victorian houses don't have as much rot as newer house. So the code was changed to what you have.
The only thing you don't have is the flashing around the windows and bug screen.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuGXgRzWQmM[/ame]

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the great and very useful video! I didn't realize they were so far ahead when they built the house (the girl whose family moved into the house in 1938 still lives in town and confirmed for me the original siding has never been changed, only painted). Like the bug screen, too!

Vince

Wow, thanks for the great and very useful video! I didn't realize they were so far ahead when they built the house (the girl whose family moved into the house in 1938 still lives in town and confirmed for me the original siding has never been changed, only painted). Like the bug screen, too!

Vince

You can add the bug screen , you can buy it in a 6" wide roll cut it to length and slide it up with a drywall knife.
That doesn't help your cold wall question much.

Back