fixing bad subfloor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valleylake8574

Reaction score
I have pulled up all the flooring on a property I am trying to move into. I am down to the 3/4 inch plywood sublfloor and discovered lots of dips, bows and some of the top of the plywood has began to peel. I was advised to pour a self leveling compound on top of plywood to level out dips and cover the peeling and before pouring the compound I need to sand down the high spots with floor sander. I have investigated purchasing the leveling compound and discovered it is expensive and not easy to do. would it be easier and less costly to purchase new 3/4 plywood and put on top of old plywood. or do i still need to use the self leveling compound. The total area I am fixing is 2500 sq ft.

What room is this? Did you get all the floor up?

Before fixing the floor, have you any idea what has caused this? What are the floor joists, how long are they and how far apart are they.

I will take a picture of the floor and post. The entire house has the flooring pulled up. There was water damage to the roof of the property and some hidden damage to some of the floors. Also, previous bad tennants. I will get info on joist.

It would be a shame to do all this work with out looking at the structure before going ahead. We have some experience with this. Most of the floor was good so we just added plywood over that where the plywood was warped up and down, we cut out the bad areas and added spacers to bring it up to height. We found 1 joist that had crowned down, we cut a "v" out ot it and added a new one. Really fun laying in the mud.
Part of the trick is to glue new to old so you don't have a noisy floor.

If it was mine I would just cut out the old subfloor with a Toe Kick saw on the outside edges and passes with a ciruler saw to cut it into managable sections. Once it's all out it's far easyer to to check for sagging, broken, insect eaten floor joist. Repair those then install new Advantec subflooring using constrution adhesive on top of the joist and ceramic coated 2-1/4 decking screws. Now you will have a 100% sturdy floor. Trying to patch, fill, or repair all that old flooring will never come out flat or solid.
A tool that makes it far easyer to take out the old subfloor is a Gutster. I bought mine at Northern Tool. Do a key word search on it.

Back