New Windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD_GS

Reaction score
So the place I moved into needs new windows, the seals are all bad and you can feel a drafty breeze come through when it's slightly windy out. I've never gone the route of replacing windows and I was curious on people's opinion on who to use. Who to use meaning would it be a job you would trust a Home Depot or Lowes with or a small location franchise? I receive flyers and coupons in the mail all the time from these places and it seems like sorta too good to be true or at of hidden charges they don't mention. Would a better route be hiring a small contractor and have them do it? That's sorta what I've been leaning towards but I wanted to get others opinions that have replaced their windows. Thank you.

*edit*
Forgot to mention its a total of 11 windows. 8 of which are standard bedroom windows, 1 a smaller hallway window and 2 small half windows in the finished basement

Last edited:
Window quality is important. BUT---after that, installation is paramount. Be sure to use a good installer. Someone who's done TONS of windows. Try to get references from people you know. And don't over-look good building contractors if you know some. Many of them are willing to do projects like that today because not much building is going on in many communities, so they are more willing to tackle jobs like this.

Myself---I don't prefer the contractors that the big box stores may use. You never know who they are. And some of them are not the best. Interview your own contractors.

I am sure there are good companies that change windows, but if it sounds to good to be true , you know. Your best defence is to ask question about best practices and educate your self. So when you know how it should be done you tell contractor what needs to done instead of asking what they suggest. Then you do want to be there and be the inspector on the job when it is done.

Back