Faulty GFCI outlet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qasar

Reaction score
I've replaced a GFCI unit twice and still can't get it to work. Power is there because when I just connect the white and ground wires, everything works. I even just installed a simple NON GFCI outlet and that didn't work. Where is my problem?

Power is there because when I just connect the white and ground wires, everything works
Please explain how it works with the white and ground.

I even just installed a simple NON GFCI outlet and that didn't work

Sounds like you have an issue elsewhere. Either the hot or the neutral wire is loose or disconnected further back in the circuit.

Everything works throughout the hose when I simply connect the white and ground wires. Nothing works in about 25% of the house when I install either a GFCI or simple outlet. With electricity getting through the white wire, and allowing everything in the house to work properly, how can it be disconnected somewhere?

The power comes to the outlet on the black wire, you need the white wire to go back to the breaker box to complete the loop. It will work if you replace ground for white but that isn't what you want to do. Take the cover off the breaker box and tighten all the screws holding white wires. If that dosn't solve the problem then you have to trace that wire to all the other outlets and switches and lights on that breaker and check for loose wires. If that dosn't help, you have had critters eating wires.

Yep, you have an open neutral somewhere. When you splice white with the ground you are using the ground wire to complete the circuit. You need to trace the circuit and find the open neutral. something came loose somewhere, either in another outlet or in the main panel. Good luck.

Thanks, y'all. You've saved me from going crazy figuring this out, but probably condemned me to death if I take your advice.

Final question: If I shut down the main breaker switch, is it then safe to tighten up the white wire screws?

Back