Lawnmower question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

The other day I changed the oil in my lawnmower but had a bit of a problem, well kind of as it went away.

After I changed the oil I put some fresh gas in and a few minutes later I noticed that it was leaking around the air filter. I cleaned the small amount of gas up and noticed the air filter was soaked in gas also. After everything was cleaned up I started the lawnmower and it fired up no problem so I put a new air filter in and everything was fine. I used it to cut the grass and there was no problem, I went to cut my parents lawn today and it was fine.

What I want to know what caused it? and is it probably fine now? I assume there must have been a small amount of gas that was still in the tank over the winter and gummed things up. Now that it has ran would things be cleaned out now?

Thanks for any help

Jeremy

Possibly some leakage from tilting the lawnmower to get to the drain plug.
Should be fine now.

cheers, my lawnmower doesn't have a drain plug so I had to empty the oil by the fill opening, so I had to really tilt it,lol

The lawn mower has a drain plug that is used to drain out the oil from the engine.

Some lawnmowers the drain plug is hidden under belt-covers or, some China Engines don't have them. When you tilt the lawnmower, the fuel that is in the carburetor will leak into the venturi, and when you rest them down, it flows onto the air-filter, this does not indicate a problem.

If it's a push mower the drain will be under the deck where the blades are.

Latest posts

Back