AC fan is on but no cold air coming out

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z_johnq

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a old model central AC (brand is York). It's been working fine until a couple days ago.

As I turn it on, the noise is not as loud as before. It feels like the blower in my attic is not working.

I checked the compressor unit outside the house, the compressor sweats a lot; the tubes linked to the compressor are ice-cold and they look like they have quite some frost on them. I guess the freon should be OK.

I also checked the capacitors (2 of them, one is bigger than the other). They are quite rusty but my multi-meter shows no discontinuity.

Thanks in advance.

z_johnq

discontinuity? You should be checking for capacitance and need a meter capable of that.
If the capacitor has swelled (if this is what you mean by bigger than the other) then it is bad.
Your going to have to either go into the attic to verify the blower operation or you should be able to turn your A/C or fan to "On" mode and verify air flow through the air registers.
Once these items have been verified, post back the operational appearance of the compressor.

Hi, thanks for replying. Sorry I did not make myself clear: the bigger one (capacitor) is for the compressor and the smaller one for fan, I guess. I doesn't look like the big one is swollen.

How can I verify if the blower is working or not? Please advise. Is there any fuse in the blower unit? I remember before the AC broke down, the breaker on my power panel kept tripping for a few times and then the blower was not blowing cool air and only the fan in the compressor unit was spinning.

Thanks again.

Your going to have to either go into the attic to verify the blower operation (sound/feel/see) or you should be able to turn your A/C or fan to "On" mode and verify air flow through the air registers.

Last edited:
Back