~ My first home, my first project. (not 56k friendly)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buenrostrox

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a noobie to the forum just looking for a place to log my progress and get some feedback along the way.

I'm a 21 year old from Omaha, NE. I closed on my home in mid October, so I haven't had it for more than a month. The house I bought is actually the house I grew up in, parents sold it off about 3 years ago to move out where were are now (nicer neighborhood / nicer houses). Well, just like the current trend, the people who bought it didn't pay and faced foreclosure. I got it for less than half of what we sold it for and paid cash FTW.

The deadbeats (or victims depending on your views) trashed it, but it's mostly cosmetic and on the inside, so I'll be gutting it and fixing it up with the intention of eventually flipping it. Will probably end up moving into it for a while with some roommates.

It's a cute little thing , about 1100 sqft:

house.jpg

Yard will clean up pretty well, and I'm going to be tearing down some walls on the inside to re-organize the living space to make it roomie friendly.

My first weekend with this house I took as a four day weekend to do some work (fri-mon), here are some pics showing how rough it is and some of the things we did.

To sum it up (that I can remember)

- I have a new roof
- we (my father and I) built a concrete canal type thing on the side of the house to prevent water from coming into the basement (had slight leakage issues)
- New front door
- scraped the **** out of some walls, did spackling, prepped for paint etc
- fixed some of the ghetto patches in the textured ceiling
- tore down some things that needed to be taken down

pics!

Piles of shingles and the best pos car I've ever owned:

DSCF4381.jpg

Roofers roofin:

DSCF4384.jpg

Dad making door holes:

DSCF4392.jpg

DSCF4390.jpg

New door (put the same storm door back on and needs cleaned up yet):

DSCF4397.jpg

Tearing down some paneling to find out what was behind it:

DSCF4360.jpg

These people liked nailing stuff everywhere:

DSCF4367.jpg

DSCF4396.jpg

Upstairs bedroom has potential:

DSCF4373.jpg

DSCF4375.jpg

I have a LOT of work to look forward to

and the Home Depots in my hood will be seeing a lot of me.

Welcome Pedro:
It looks like you have quite a project going there. Please keep us posted on the progress and we really appreciate the pictures.
Glenn

:) Nice place for a first home.
Glad to see you have some help there too.
One suggestion I have is, if you can make your furnace or boiler a direct vent ,I would do it. That way you can get rid of that chimney.
Have fun, I remember my first one.:D

Installed new backdoor and storm door:

DSCF4398.jpg

DSCF4399.jpg

DSCF4400.jpg

Inside of the front door seen in the first batch of pics:

DSCF4401.jpg

Upstairs didn't have a vent, so we fixed that!

DSCF4402.jpg

DSCF4404.jpg

Mess on the main floor:

DSCF4405.jpg

Upstairs bedroom in progress (and my dad napping)

DSCF4408.jpg

IMAGE_076.jpg

IMAGE_083.jpg

IMAGE_085.jpg

IMAGE_089.jpg

The longest wall was paneling that was painted over, and had about 4 different layers of wall. But no insulation. We'll be insulation and putting up drywall.

The wall the leads into the blue room is just getting moved and turned into a bigger bedroom.

The wall was load bearing, so we built this giant brace:

IMAGE_105.jpg

IMAGE_108.jpg

IMAGE_109.jpg

That's about it, we'll finish building that room this weekend, do some wiring, and hopefully hang some drywall.

We finished framing last night, did some electrical, and insulated the whole was that was naked, as usual here are the progress pics:

DSCF4411.jpg

DSCF4413.jpg

DSCF4415.jpg

DSCF4416.jpg

Looks like you're having big fun :)
The pics are GREAT!
Thanks a ton for sharing. I'm sure we'll be referring folks to these pics for examples for quite a while.

Looks good, can't wait to see some more progress pics.

Been a while since I updated, I forgot the camera last weekend, so I didn't have much to post.

At this point, all the drywall on the main floor has been hung, it's all been taped, sanded, and the ceilings re-textured. There are just some details to double check under good lighitng before we slap the primer on the walls.

Extended bedroom:

DSCF4485.jpg

DSCF4466.jpg

DSCF4468.jpg

Back