New home owner here.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaluska

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯
Reaction score
Hey guys, im getting into a pretty big project (as far as im concerned) so im coming in to say hello, and start doing some research.

im buying a 1977 ranch style home on a nice corner lot, with a HUGE drive way. (enough to park 4 cars long, and 2 cars wide). its our first home, so were expecting a little bit of work is needed.

things on the list.

-Attic insulation replacement (there was a coon living up in the attic, and there is fecal matter EVERYWHERE)

-Master bathroom shower hot water has very low pressure. (have no clue where to start on this one)

-hot water heater needs to be replaced

-all windows seals are "loose" enough to let some heat in

-all doors need new seals, (garage door has NO seals, so much as light can come through the door.)

-install a dog door in the backyard door

-get a termite treatment preformed.

-there is existing termites in the house, and were negotiating with the seller to repair the termite damage

-need to replace all of the "soffit" intake vents for the attic.

-install LED/Florescent bulbs around the house

-install ceiling fans in the guest rooms

obviously some things are more of a "do along the way" type projects. But im pretty anal about keeping the house cool in the summer, so the insulation, and cooling / heat rejection of the house is very important to me. as well as keeping the water out of the house. I do like conserving electricity using basic steps (converting all appliances/utilities to gas) and using LED bulbs / florescent bulbs in replacement for incandescent.

eh, a lot of the projects are things that will take under an hour to do.

Termite barrier, and control treatment isn't even preformed by me, so i'm paying bullseye to come do it.

replacing the water heater.. it takes longer to drain the 40 gallons, than it does to unhook the 4 connections, lift, thread tape, and repeat.

all the door and window seals will only take a hour or so to rip off any rotten old ones and replace with new ones.. its just a matter of taking inventory of "this window is 6'x12' and this door is 7'x3'. and making sure i get enough weatherstripping.

ceiling fans can wait for the guest room.. i may take the 2 existing fans, and move them, then put some really nice Hampton bay fans in the master, and living rooms.

the attic will definitely take a weekend to do.. between removing the existing soffit vents, making new externally mounted , more easy to access vents, then crawling up in the attic, removing any soiled insulation, and replacing it with blown in insulation. I'm just deciding between F-glass, and cellulose.
we still have a few weeks before we actually start moving into the new house, so we got our hands full..

I just wish i had more friends who were as mechanically inclined as i was, or those that were, had the same quality control as i expect.

And just for the record, this is what i am working with.

mkirkpics11001.jpg

Last edited:
And here is a horrible pic of the attic, and how bad my "insulation" is, after 5 years of the house being un-occupied. also please note that the piping in the attic isnt insulated. this will be taken care of quickly.. i have a feeling i will need to replace the ducting as well.. it looks like the insulation is coming out of it. Very shoddy old owner! I am not worried about investing money in my house, but GEES, does everything have to be jerry-rigged, and ghetto fabbed!?!?!?!

mkirkpics11025.jpg

mkirkpics11026.jpg

Last edited:
From what I see the white PVC pipes are vent pipes not supply lines and do not require insulation.

what about the steel lines?

our home inspector made of note that the piping in the attic was not insulated. i had assumed he had meant the steel piping

Well small update, after paying ARS to come out and look at the plumbing, i found the low pressure to be calcium built up in the shower pipe. the water was turned off for so long, there was a bit of calcium preventing the valve from letting water through.. 125$ lesson.. ill never have to worry about calling someone out for that again. i hate that i had to pay to get a little bit of crud out of a valve, But i learned a lesson..

Installed a few seals around the house, enough to keep light from coming through the doors sills.

ended up happening to buy a new dryer, as the old one was just not going to cut it.. the dryer wouldn't fire over with the 220v outlet, and we had a gas hookup. a day on Craigslist netted me a "almost new" LG dryer for about a third of the price as a new one.

ive replaced all of the soffit vents with new soffit grill/vents.

also had the termite prevention taken care of.

we've only been in this house a week, and its costed me almost $1400.00

but most of the "immediate repairs" are taken care of now.

Glad you're making progress! Besure to keep us updated. Did you find out what the metal pipe is for in the attic?

Back