Could Blower Motor make Coils Leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harbor

Reaction score
Water alarm was tripping after air was running for a long period, clearly leaking into secondary drain pan. I assumed drain was plugged, but could not clean. Called technician today, and he indicated I had a bad blower motor on furnace unit (Ruud Achiever 90), and needed to be replaced. He said it was getting hot and then shutting down.

I explained several times that the system wasn't tripping or stopping because fan was overheating but rather was tripping due to water in pan. He 'guaranteed' that this is what the problem was, but I can't figure out logically how it would impact. Does this make sense? At a ridiculous price of $600 to replace, I want to ensure this is right.
thanks,

Yes, the technician is correct in that, if blower motor stops running during and A/C cycle and then comes on a while later will cause excess condensate from the thawing of coils as they freeze up due to lack of air flow across the evaporator.
Has the blower motor capacitor been checked? A bad cap will cause the motor to run hot and eventually not at all.

If it is too much water and is tripping the water switch find the outside outlet and blow into it with air pressure to unstop it. Or if you have access to blow from inside you can do that.

Back