Problem tightening toiled lid

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superbeaver82

Reaction score
Hey. My toilet lid is loose on one side, so I'm trying to tighten the nut onto the bolt that holds the lid to the actual toilet. Problem is, first of all, that it's really cramped and it's tough to even get in there.

More importantly, when I try to tighten the nut with a socket wrench, the whole bolt moves along with it, so that the nut doesn't actually move any further up the thread. I've tried using pliers to hold the bolt in place while I'm screwing the nut in, but 1) the bolt is plastic, so I'm afraid this will mess up the thread; and 2) the angle is so bad that this is almost impossible to do, since it takes two hands.

Anybody know of any tool or technique that would help me out here? Thanks.

Check on top of the bowl where the lid attaches, should be able to remove a cap or open a small lid to get to the top of the nylon bolt, it will have a slot in it to use a screw driver to turn the bolt with while you hold the nut on the bottom with your fingers or pliers.

Blue Jay is correct.

I would try holding the bolt with your fingers first, because depending on the bolts age, they can sometimes break easily.

You can buy replacement bolts at your local hardware store if you need to.

For completeness - Sometimes the bolt is built in, or permanently attached. Not likely the case for the poster as it wouldn't spin.

Back