Getting a new roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTGP

Reaction score
What is the procedure on getting a new roof.

Besides calling a roofing company!

How many inspections are there?

Typical warranty?

Can you do it yourself?

May be helpful if you describe what type of roof you require. How close are you to the water?

We a low slop roof.
Measurements will be provided tomorrow. We are close to water, Canal in the back yard.

Our slop is under 3 in 12. I am understanding that it should be a roll roofing application. not shingles!

Pictures will be coming tomorrow!

I'd never suggest anyone using an asphualt roofing product on that low a slope roof.
I'd be calling around for an EPDM roof if you want it to last. It's a roll rubber roof that should last about 50 years.
Better yet have someone change the slope of the roof so reguler shingles will work. Any low slope or flat roof is far more likly to leak.

Rubber on a low slope roof is a great roofing product, but none of the major MFG's (Carlise, Firestone, Manville) offer material warranties on residential installations. Most (not all) installs I see on residences lack all the components that are required for a good install. RTS strips in wall, proper drip edge strip in, lack of primmer in seams and not fully adhering are some of the short cuts that will cause E.P.D.M. to fail. Single ply products are meant for commercial applications and homeowners have a tendency to walk on roofing, I have seen homeowners walk on roofs with golf shoes on.

Certainteed, Flintlastic GAF, Liberty and ABC's, Mulehide are great roll roofing products meant for residential applications and have residential warranties. They consist of a self adhering base sheet and a modified bitumen cap sheet. This is basically a shingle that comes in a roll form.

Any roof installation is only as good as the installer putting it on. If the installer short cuts the installation by not using all the components, it will adversely compromise the ability of the product to be a serviceable system.

Here are some pictures of the roof. I have been suggested by two contractors to provide my roof with a stronger slop.

Roof has developed four leaks.

100_0637.jpg

100_0632.jpg

In picture #2 it looks like you also have a low spot in the roof and someone tryed using roll roofing. That's a leak waiting to happen.
Was that section added on later then the rest of the house?
When I see DIY's trying to build a porch they almost never go up on to the existing roof to run the rafters. They try and just start at the fasia instead.
There will never be enough sloop to the roof and it will always fail at some point.
If the plan is to stay in that home I'd be looking for someone to redo that whole roof not just cover it over again.

I second Joe Caption's advice. This looks like it calls for a complete replacement.

What clips are you talking about, a shingled roof that makes noise? Hmm:eek:

Latest posts

Back