Recess wall - flat screen

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdo

Reaction score
Hi,
We have a recessed dry wall in the basement. Recess extends more than half the wall width. Depth of the recess is 6 inches.

We want to hang a flat projector screen on the wall. The screen weighs 22 pounds. To hang the screen, i will need to attach two hinges to the wall.

Since the wall is recessed, i need to flatten part of the recessed wall to place a second hinge.

I went to a nation retailer nearby. One of the reps there told me that i should get 3 2X4 about 6 inches long and stick them one over the other using liquid nails. The idea is that i can place the second hinge on top of the 3 2X4 held together by liquid nails.

What do you guys think about the plan?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this question.

thanks

If you can post a photo of the braket or hinge I am sure someone here will come up with a better looking suggestion.

I would think that the screen should be able to be mounted to the ceiling too.
If not I would attach a 2x4 to the ceiling and attach the screen to that. Lay it flat if 1.5 inches is enough to attach bracket. If not laying it on end will work if you toe tail it from both sides into ceiling joists I would use a 3" exterior deck screw or some other premium screw. Something a little stronger than drywall screw.

What... Sand the ends prime, paint it white. It will look fine Its going to be hidden behind screen.

Back