new oil burner? or whole new furnace.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asbestos

Good with caulk
Reaction score
We have a forced air furnace in our house that is OE from 1958. It has had the blower motor replaced at some point, but all else seems original. It was serviced a a few months ago (I think all they did was a filter change and new nozzle) anyway it does not seem to be burning all that well, and is a bit noisy. I am wondering is it worth it to replace the burner or should we make this one last until we get a new furnace?

With the oil prices these days replacing a 50 year old furnce should pay for it self in under 5 years. That depends on how much you get ripped off by the installer though.

Hey Asbestos:
I haven't seen you on for a while; hope everything is O K.
I agree with Guyod, your furnace has been faithful to you and paid its way. It is now at least 30 years past its economic life and there is no need to keep investing in it. A newer, high efficiency furnace can pay for itself in 5 years or less. Its time to call in a couple of favors and get a new one. Don't forget to search eBay for one, you never know.
Glenn

Back