Kitchen light types

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Shan:
A scone or vanity light will look a little out of place (but its your place and its no-one else's business), and will shine in your eyes while you work over the sink. I would use an 18 or 24" flourescent light and put a trim board in front of it from cabinet to cabinet (called a valance). You can even buy one to match your cabinet color at the HD.
Glenn

Hey Shan:
A scone or vanity light will look a little out of place (but its your place and its no-one else's business), and will shine in your eyes while you work over the sink. I would use an 18 or 24" flourescent light and put a trim board in front of it from cabinet to cabinet (called a valance). You can even buy one to match your cabinet color at the HD.
Glenn

I am pretty sure that it wouldnt bother my sight (I am only 5'3') but I wasnt sure about thte looks either......... I was just trying to get out of fixing that hole and hanging something else.... From what I have seen though... I agree that I am probably going to have to go with the undercabinet flourescent and have a valance..... (which proably would look better anyways)

Shan... the valance and under cabinet light is the proper way to go. Be sure to look for one of the new "no hum" lights with a "rocker" switch (not a slide switch). And, a big plus is the life of the bulb = probably last for 10 years.

so, I chose a temporary replacement light for over the sink.... but... the more i look at it.. the more I actually like it... so maybe I will keep it.... cant say I have ever seen a light like this in a kitchen before... but.. I like it.....

DSCF0754.JPG

Thinkin out side the normal things folks do is just fine.:D

Looks good too.:)

I'm surprised but I actually like the look of that light, looks like it was meant to be there in the first place, personally I would of gone for a small florescent and a valance as previously suggested.

Back