Tile over brick fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody84

Reaction score
I am getting ready to tile over this brick fireplace. Should I lay the tile on top of the brick or should I take the brick out? I am worried it may block my ventilation if I tile over the brick. Also, for the edges of the fireplace, I bought a tile that has a bull nose but the woman of the house does not like it because it only comes in smaller pieces. Should I just place the tiles as close together as I can and fill the gaps in with grout or maybe try mittering the tiles? I don't want to have sharp edges though. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

photo.JPG

If you remove the brick you will have no kind of surface for tiling. If you tile the inside edge of the fire box, you may have trouble with your insert, you don't want to lock it in. There is a varity of metal corners including round shapes and many colours.

How should I go about tileing over the brick without locking the insert in?

Perhaps you could get a sheet metal shop to bend up something in black metal that could be screwed to the bricks so it could be removed. Or maybe the insert could be move out so the face tile could slip behind it a little.

You can also float out the mortar joints with thin set, then screw backer board to the brick and start tiling! No big deal, you will still need some sort of trim , either bullnose or Schluter

Back