Chimney Thimble protruding from wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffInNB

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just about a year into my home and have decided to start doing some repairs/decorating/renos etc. and moved the piano that came with the house to find an old stove pipe covered by a doilie by the former owner. The pipe has been filled with plaster and it sticks about 1/4" out from the wall and is very unsightly. My wife and I are planning to either paint or wallpaper the room and this needs to go.

It looks to be a galvanized pipe and has a cracked plug of plaster that is sort of concave inside of it. The chimney is only used for venting the oil furnace.

First, is this safe?
Secondly, what is the best course of action to level it with the wall and cover it over?

I was planning on knocking a bit of the plaster out with a chisel until it is behind the line of the wall and either folding in or cutting the protruding pipe inside and then patching the wall.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
This would be dangerous if the chimney is being used, I think you should remove some wall around this and have the hole bricked up by someone that understands the working of the chimney. Years ago gas or oil furnaces were run into chimnys and now a liner would be required because of posible leaks like this or the patch it needs may allow.

Thank you for your reply, I was hoping there would have been a much less expensive answer. Ah the joys of owning an older home....

I hate telling people, they need a pro but this could be deadly, maybe not now but sometime in the future. I would have this chimney cleaned and inspected, there may be more of these hidden in walls. If there is a stainless liner the repair could be done by the homeowner.

Back