faulty MR16 receivers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gschimma

Reaction score
Hi, We purchased a home built in 1997 with these MR16 recessed lights in the kitchen, in a vaulted ceiling in our master bath, in the living room and on our front porch. Unfortunately the many of the lights don't work and reading online informs me that the receptacles are known for pitting, etc. Some of them appear to have been replaced (and not with ceramic caps, one had wires that were contacting and sparking). My local home center sells the bulbs but not replacement receivers because they say that they're just junk. One suggestion I see online is replacing the receptacle with GU10 for better contact. Some just clip the old receptacle and wire in the receiver the GU10. There's also mention of a transformer associated with these. I don't see a transformer and I'm unable to figure out how to get the cans out.

Can the I just rewire new GU10 receivers or does it entail something more complicated? Any other suggestions?

Without knowing who mfg. the fixture or having a model # so it can be researched, it's difficult to definitively answer, other than saying that the GU base and lamping will be an improvement.

Not sure what you're asking for...golo sc 113 is what's written on the receiver...

IMG_8390.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

Last edited:
Generally, on the inside of, or the outside of the can will be a UL tag and the name of the mfg. which may require some disassembly.

The # on the receiver may be a generic.

Thanks.

If you have a VOM, (VOLT, OHM, METER) you can check the voltage at the receiver to determine if you have a stepdown transformer and let you know what you can change too, should you decide to change to GU lamps.

Or you could just check one of the lamps. It will have a voltage printed on it.

round and rectangular version of what? home depot here in maine states that they don't sell MR16 fixtures

Latest posts

Back