What tool can I use...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdsmeck

Reaction score
I need to take apart my porch wrought iron railing...The rail sections are screwed into the columns and have probably not been taken apart for many, many years...

The very first screw came out relatively easy, but I can't get any of the other ones to budge and I am afraid of stripping the heads off of the remainder...

Thanks In Advance...

A "Wanna Be DIYer In Training"

Mike...

The first thing to do is see if you can get some penetrating oil on the screw threads somehow.

Lots of people suggest using WD-40 as penetrating oil. Others say that a 50/50 mix of power steering fluid and acetone works as well as commercial penetrating oils. Others use transmission fluid in stead of power steering fluid in that recipe.

I'd put penetrating oil on as best I could in the morning, mid-afternoon and at night for a few days and try again.

Use KROIL for a penetrating oil. It will seep into ANY opening. The real key then is to absolutely sure you have the right, good fitting bit to remove it.

In the worst case, screw extraction tools can do the job and are available in several different kinds and sizes. Extractors require a small starter hole drilled into the head of the screw. The extactor tip siezes into the screwhead and thus the screw can be turned out using a wrench or socket.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies...

Was able to get it soaking it in WD40 and letting it set a bit...

Mike...

I would recommend trying PB Blaster penetrating oil. I have tried several brands and this seems to work the best. Just make sure you give it plenty of time to soak in.

PB blaster is my weapon of choice and others work well too but, WD40 really isn't a penetrating oil. It was designed by/for the military as a water displacement agent thus the WD (Water Displacing). As locknut mentioned, a screw extractor may have to be employed but, as a last resort and as opposed to hacksawing between the rail and post. Now that I mention it, I never did get my free extractor from this website.
Forgot to mention that there are impact screwdrivers on the market that work well too. It comes with multiple tips and you wack it with a hammer. The impact makes the head turn and there's not much that can withstand that type of simultaneous impact and twist. Good Luck.

PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench work better for this than WD-40. I have heard good things about Kroil as well. I just have never used it.

I guess that I am unclear of one thing though: do you want to keep the railing and put it back together? If so, take care with the screws and take your time.

If not, go to town with and angle grinder, sawzall, etc and just get the darn thign out of there!

I think he wants to keep the railing.

Otherwise he'd be using an acetylene torch and stubborn screws wouldn't be an issue.

Back