Metal Paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnnewton

Reaction score
I got some Appliance paint from Ace to paint some newly made metal parts, and apparently I don't know how to paint very well. The parts are A36 Steel, after cutting on the mill, I sanded, and cleaned with mineral spirits (out of acetone, it seems to do better), so there wouldn't be a bunch of cutting fluid on them. I painted, and the coating looks great, shiny, black, just like my stove. But at closer inspection, i can take my fingernail and chip off small bits of the paint. It's like it is sticking to itself, but not so much the metal. What's my best course of action here? Sand all of it, primer this time and start again, or is there a faster way? Thanks for any help. It's mild temperature wise right now, thought it would be perfect.

Strip the paint off an start over.

This time clean them with something that leaves no residue (CRC Brakleen) is an excellent product for this purpose.
Then apply primer following the instructions on the can.
Then apply your paint following the instructions on the can.

Hey Jnnewton, sounds like a pretty cool project you got there.
Before anything when you are painting you want to apply a primer to ensure proper base coat adhesion.
Everything else you did was great and use of brake clean to degrease is a good idea but use of mineral spirits or paint thinner should work just fine, just be certain to use a primer that is designed for metals and you shouldn’t have any trouble at all. Good luck!

I wanted to thank everyone for the thoughts on this, it seems that after a few tries, I managed to do it right, although I couldn't tell you what the difference was.

Back