Foundation and grade issues

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have 90% of any problems solved with the work you had done to your gutters already. I think what is left is get a load of bank gravel placed along that side of the house and rebuild the slope it once had and resetting the AC pad at the same time. Cover that with some top soil and sod or plant grass with erosion protection.

I would just watch the crack for another year and if it is stable repair the stucco. If it is actively moving or opening, then you have to literally dig deeper into that problem.

With the slope on your property there shouldn’t be any problem getting rid of water. I think the previous owner just neglected the drainage and it seem you are right on top of it.

Nice looking house.

I think you have 90% of any problems solved with the work you had done to your gutters already. I think what is left is get a load of bank gravel placed along that side of the house and rebuild the slope it once had and resetting the AC pad at the same time. Cover that with some top soil and sod or plant grass with erosion protection.

I would just watch the crack for another year and if it is stable repair the stucco. If it is actively moving or opening, then you have to literally dig deeper into that problem.

With the slope on your property there shouldn’t be any problem getting rid of water. I think the previous owner just neglected the drainage and it seem you are right on top of it.

Nice looking house.

That's a relief to hear that. We came to the conclusion that the owners must have stopped caring when they decided they were going to sell and just covered up things to look nice while on the market. I can't complain too much because that did help in getting the house for under list price.

Prior to joining the forum I stopped by a landscaping company to inquire about an estimate. They came by yesterday and said it looks a lot worse than it is. That was a little more comfort as well. I'll see what they quote us and figure out how much we can afford vs. what I can do myself vs. what I can realistically do with my work schedule myself. With regards to the AC pad, would it be a general contractor who would do that? I want to get an HVAC tech out just to look over the system because it doesn't look like the previous owners did that recently. There's a hose that comes out of the foundation with the wires and pipes going to the heat pump. I noticed the other day that it squirted water out and I have never noticed that before. Any idea what that might be and where it leads to? I tried to follow it into the house but haven't had luck so far. I didn't get to check by the water heater just yet.

Thank you for the compliment on the house. It's a great accomplishment and although I know there will be bumps along the way, my family and I are still very happy and blessed.

I agree that the landscaping is no big deal and you have solved that problem.
My concern is the wall it's self. If the side wall is concrete, good. if not, you do want to make sure that soil is not back filled against a wood structure wall.
The hint I see for some of that wall being partly wood, there is no reason to drill thru concrete for electrical and AC lines when they could have moved those up another foot and entered thru wood which would be normal.

I have put a pad under the HVAC before, the HVAC people remove and re install it including re charging the system, that could be a little expensive.
The pipe draining water is likely from the inside unit, when you cool air, moisture in the air drops out of it.

Back