Clueless Girl's Basement Overhead Light Not working

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP,
Have you verified that bulb #2 isn't defective by trying a third bulb or trying this bulb in a different fixture?

I haven't read everything but those fixtures often have a problem with the center tab on touching to contact on the bulb.

I honestly think that shannongirl should follow Bud's advice and take a step back on this and ask assistance from a friend or neighbor who may have a bit more basic knowledge of electrical.

Hey Thanks everybody for the replies. You are all so nice to spend your own time helping someone else. :trophy:

So to answer a question- I've tried 3 bulbs and they all work in other fixtures.

I was able to located the fuse and turn off power and test with the doorbell chime to make sure power was off. I took photos of both the switch and the light fixture. I'll send them in two different posts because i'm not sure how many i can add to one post.

I wonder if I just buy a new switch part (just the switch part that i took photo of) and also a new light part would it fix it. Only I don't understand if I buy a new light part.....will i be able to add the BOX with the Nutone chime to it?

Here are photos of the switch. Everything "looks" connected and OK. Thanks!

N.jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo (4).jpg

photo (5).jpg

photo (6).jpg

Here's the light wires. They all look solid and connected. Thanks for taking the time to look at these.

20170220_095732.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

M.jpg

photo (7).jpg

Hey Thanks everybody for the replies. You are all so nice to spend your own time helping someone else. :trophy:

So to answer a question- I've tried 3 bulbs and they all work in other fixtures.

I was able to located the fuse and turn off power and test with the doorbell chime to make sure power was off. I took photos of both the switch and the light fixture. I'll send them in two different posts because i'm not sure how many i can add to one post.

I wonder if I just buy a new switch part (just the switch part that i took photo of) and also a new light part would it fix it. Only I don't understand if I buy a new light part.....will i be able to add the BOX with the Nutone chime to it?

See post #18 Note #1.

When you have purchased the VOM, read the instructions and still need direction, it will be provided.

Can you post a photo of the side of the switch the red conductor is attached too?

Last edited:
Everything does look connected. You probably have a failed component, whether it be the light socket or the switch.

You wouldn't need to touch the box or the chime transformer, just the part the red and white wires is connected to.

A simple test would be to take the two wires (red and black)off the switch and join them with a wire nut. If the light comes on when the fuse is installed then the switch was bad. If the light does not come on then the light socket is bad.

Can you take the bulb out of the socket and post a close up of the socket showing the inside.

It works!
The fixture was only $1.49 and the switch .88 cents so I bought both. Replaced the fixture putting it just the way it the old one was. Easy. Couldn't have done it without your brainstorming and help. What a bunch of selfless and helpful guys! Wow! Real men help others in need! THank you so much.

1alighty.jpg

Back