Carpet and Urine

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taurial

Reaction score
I left on vacation for about 1 week and I ask my sister to watch the dog, but when i came back, I stumbled on dog urine and dog s***.

The doggy doo was easy to get up but the ageing urine on the carpet left stains and smells horrible. I've tried alot of urine-off products but none are effective. I want to try to avoid tearing up the carpet.

Also, it's all over... I got a black light "urine finder" (also finds other stuff ;) ) and it's in masses and scattered.. I really think tearing the carpet up is probably the best bet but I'd still like feed back.

Thanks in advanced.

You can rent a carpet cleaner. They use hot water,soap and rinse the spots with water. I've been able to get out lots of stains with ours. I let it soak and redo the tough spots.

You can rent a carpet cleaner. They use hot water,soap and rinse the spots with water. I've been able to get out lots of stains with ours. I let it soak and redo the tough spots.

does it matter what kind of soap?

Of course they sell their brand to put in it. I use the wall-mart brand in my cleaner and have used Tide clothes detergent when I was out. You just can't use much unless it's low sudsing.

When I bought my first house the lady had let her dogs come and go for a week while she was on vacation (doggy door). The urine had soaked through the carpet through the pad, and into the subfloor. The only way I was able to completely get rid of it was to tear the carpet and pad out and then put down two coats of primer on the subfloor. My house smelled brand new afterwards. If the animals urinate frequqently in the same section I would bet that it has gone through the padding and is pooling on the subfloor.

I thought I said that?:)

Get rid of the carpet, you will always have the smell, and another bonus is....the dog keeps going in the same spot next week.:eek:

Spend the money on a new carpet.;)

Latest posts

Back