Noisy roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It scares the crap out of the family when we get a good one at two in the morning. It is just as loud as an earthquake without the shaking.

I keep telling my daughter it's Santa on the roof

Tell her to write Santa and ask for a new roof.
You said they had changed the fasia, there might be some quality of workmanship going on here.
In one photo of the soffet you can see the edge of the 1x6 next to the facia and the fasias lening out a little. When the house was built there should have been a liner, 2x4 or 2x6 across the ends of the rafters and 1x6 would have been nail to that. The fasia should have been high enough to hide the 1x6.
I think what happened here was they uses the facia as the liner and likely had another 1x4 fasia higher to hide the 1x6.
So when these guys changed the fasia and luck would have it the last peice of 1x6 was only 1 1/2 inches wide and came out with the facia. So they just rased the new fasia to hide the edge of the 1x6 . But with out the tungue and grove to help support that span, the 1x6 is sagging along that edge and maybe moves up and down with the heat of the day.
If you can prove that is the problem the fix is easy.

Might be? The noise starts closer to the eve and moves from left to right like you are running. Don't know if that means anything.

You might just take a stick and push up in the middle beside the fasia and see if you can make the noise happen.

Whether that was the problem you were looking for or not it should be fixed, there should have been no movement there.
The fix will be to install 2x2s between the rafters where they can be screwed first to the deck boards and the to the facia. The 2x2s will want to be ripped on the angle so so they fit snug against both surfaces.. It would be nice if you could work the facia back into place too. Might have to put the Bobcat to work on that. The trick will be to cut the 2x2 about 1/8 short and then wedge it up to make sure everthing is straight before you screw it in place.

Not yet. Things keep coming up. Roof is still noisy. I need a vacation to take care of stuff.

Back