Purchased big project home, certain will need suggestions/advise/moral support too :)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've done a lot of work but most was work that no one see's, so it's nice to see something that isn't hidden in the ceilings, wiring, or walls….:)

Have a question…All our framing is completed, also all the ducts are done the way we feel was the correct way, the AC wiring is complete as well, we also installed a exhaust fan that vents outside the wall of the attic space. My question is after looking over all the classes (3 digits) for the different type of inspections I'm not sure what the attic space is… Do any of you know if it is a mechanical inspection? Also, can't find any class codes for duct work, strange because the building department gave me a list with the 3 digits that match the work needing inspections and I'm really surprised the duct work isn't on the list. So anyway my main question is what is the inspection called for the attic space, everything is completed up there, duct work, bathroom vents, framing for ceiling, wiring, etc.

Please let me know, I hate to have to call the building department to ask because they get an attitude sometimes, some are great and extremely helpful but some not so nice. Thanks in advance

That might be a local thing. It might be part of the framing inspection as it all has to finished before the insulation goes in and hides everything.

I have all the insulation in the walls, all the framing is done as well. Haven't done the insulation in the attic space because they said they need to inspect before we insulate the attic space. I think i'm going to have to call because the codes and their ways down there is a lot different then where our primary house is located. Hopefully, I'll get a helpful kind person and not one that's real vague.

I suppose I could tell them my husband told me which inspection to call for but I forgot and maybe they will tell me…:) It will probably be the best way to get a answer.

Thank you Neil! :)

So over the past two weeks we've had two framing inspections.

1. Inspector stated I'd pass you but you need to add wood around the entire interior exterior walls… At the top where the insulation ends, we had it in most areas but not all. He in detail explained the reason it can slow down a fire from spreading to 2nd level…Ok no problem he said we can put it right over the installed insulation. Did it… and ordered 2nd framing inspection.

2. A different inspector told us we have to take it down and cut out the insulation and put it back against the block wall.

There's already a 6" wide 3" depth wood that's nailed directly into the block, which is in essences part of the interior outside walls that help support the sub flooring on the 2nd level.

My question is what do we do, one inspector told us to do it one way and another said to do it another way and neither makes much since since a 1" x 3" is hardly going to stop a fire it would be more like kindle then a fire barrier… However, the heavy duty wood that goes completely around the interior exterior walls would for sure slow it down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Can't believe two different inspectors have told us to do this two completely different ways… The first one also stated everything was perfect except for that and he would have passed us. URRR! HELP!

Latest posts

Back